Saturday 13 July 2013

#55 THE INTERNS

Directed by Shawn Levy. Starring Vince Vaughn, Owen Wilson, Rose Byrne and Aasif Mandvi. 119 minutes.

Here's how the Hollywood pitch went.

"It's the Wedding Crashers meets Glengarry Glen Rose, but with less sex and swearing. Two expensive watch salesmen, Wilson and Vaughn, get made redundant and discover they're unemployable. Vaughn's girlfriend leaves him and so he lies on an application form and manages to get them onto an internship at Google, much hilarity ensues." 

I went in expecting this to be The In-Turd-Shits and was pleasantly surprised to discover I quite liked it. It's not ground-breaking, it's not hilarious, it's not fantastic, and in line with all American modern comedies, it's not particularly funny. However, by the mid-way point I found it had weevilled it into my psyche and won me over. I doubt I'll ever see it again, I certainly won't own it on DVD, but it was entertaining and it did have a heart, and Vaughn's character wasn't the usual obnoxious, wise-arse know it all he usually plays. The 20-something yoofs are likeable and the 'journey' these two men go on is enjoyable.

Plus I love the fact these two middle-aged dinosaurs teach the young bloods about life by taking them to a lap-dancing club getting them drunk..

Could have done with being shorter.

6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments, unless they're how to make money working from home, are gratefully received.