Saturday 29 March 2014

#16 THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL

#16 THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL
Starrin Ralph Fiennes, T. Murray Abraham, Adrien Brody, Willem Dafoe, Jeff Goldblum, Jude Law, Harvey Keitel, Bill Murray, Edward Norton, Saoirse Ronan, Tom Wilkinson, Jason Schwartzman, Tilda Swinton and Owen Wilson.

Written and Directed by Wes Anderson. 99minutes.

Right off the bat I have to say I'm a commited Wes Anderson fan. I love his films, and of his eight films, Pocket Rocket, Rushmore, Royal Tennabaums, Life Aquatic, Darjling Express, Fantastic Mr. Fox, Moonrise Kingdom and this one, I'd have to put my hand up and say even the one I liked least scores a satisfying 8/10 for me, while the rest score either a 9 or 10.

Wes Anderson is, in my humble opinion, one of the most visually arresting directors working today and his films just keep on getting better and better. Taking his passion for set design to giddy heights The Hotel Budapest is by far is most art-directed film.

The story, (for there is one this time, it's an odd thing to admit that his films don't usually seem to have a plot at all and are none the worse for it) concerns the telling of a life from the point of view of a bell-hop done good and his experiences of working with the mysterious deaths of one of his elderly lovers, a missing will and an insanely valueable painting. At its heart it's a chase movie, but it's a chase movie with so much heart that even when it ends you want more.

Everything about this film is an utter delight, from the casting, script, music (always massively important in a Wes Anderson film) and the forementioned set design and dressing.

I utterly adored this film and was disappointed when it ended, wishing it could have just carried on for a little bit longer, a trait I feel in all my favourite Anderson films, Rushmore, Moonrise Kingdom and Life Aquatic.

Beautiful, bewitching and brilliant. I loved it. 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments, unless they're how to make money working from home, are gratefully received.