Saturday 30 September 2023

#50: STOP MAKING SENSE

 

Starring The Talking Heads. Directed by Jonathan Demme. Budget $1.2 million. Running time 88 minutes.

I love the Talking Heads. I saw them perform live in 1982, I saw David Byrne perform America Utopia in 2020. I've got all their albums, I've read books about them and I've seen all three of their movies. 

This extraordinary concert movie, directed by Jonathan Demme, opens with a bare empty stage. David Byrne enters carrying a large cassette player, presses play and performs single-handily my favourite Talking Heads song, Psycho Killer. Then with each successive song, he's joined, one-by-one, by the rest of the band, Tina Weymouth, Jerry Harrison and Chris Franz joined on stage by Lynn Mabry, Ednah Holt, Bernie Worrell, Steve Scales, Alex Weir. From there on they play all their best songs as the rest of the stage is put together. Half way through the TomTom Club take over and Byrne returns in his massive suit. 

The energy of the performance is astonishing and the music sublime. I adore the Talking Heads and this was a truly joyous and wonderful experience. 

10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments, unless they're how to make money working from home, are gratefully received.