Saturday 23 September 2023

#45: NUN II


Starring Taissa Farmiga, Jonas Bloquet, Storm Reid, Anna Popplewell and Bonnie Aaroons. Written by Ian Goldberg, Richard Naing and Akela Cooper from a story by Akela Cooper and based on characters by James Wan and Gary Dauberman. Directed by Michael Chaves. Budget $35 million. Running time 110 minutes.

When I used to work in Soho, a long time ago, I became fascinated by the postcards put up in the phone boxes by local prostitutes and in particular one card that read: "THERE'S NUN BETTER AT PLEASING A MAN." the woman declaring herself to be an actual ex-nun before adding, underneath, "BEST NIPPLES IN TOWN." Sadly I never got to find out whether that second part of her statement was true, but I was reminded of it going in to see this film, a sequel to a film I've never seen and a spin off to a franchise I've not seen either which itself spawned three films. 

I wonder whether I'll be able to follow what's going on...

Nun II sees our heroine sent off to investigate a spat of horrific deaths that seem reminiscent to what she faced in the first film and leads her and her sidekick to a rundown girls school where a groundsman, who was in the first film might or might not be harbouring, against his will, the demon who looks like a nun, who the good nun faced last time round. After that, there's a lot of murky, gloomy, dark corridors for the victims, mostly young school girls, five girls at most to run down, or fall down in, which they do a lot, all the while being chased by a goat man and the bad nun until the good nun finds the thing that can defeat the bad one before some portal or whatnot is opened, and good triumphs and the next film is set up.

Look, I haven't the foggiest what was going on, it was quite effective, the kills were entertaining and gruesome, and I did find it fascinating that these horror films are so heavily Christian in nature, God vs the Devil, good Vs evil. The film was also incredibly female-centric, which was nice and there was something quite satisfying about watching the bad nun getting her comeuppance at the end. 

It didn't fill me with loathing, it was mildly entertaining and I wasn't bored, so almost a winner, winner chicken dinner, but with no gravy.

7/10 

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments, unless they're how to make money working from home, are gratefully received.