Tuesday 30 April 2024

#32: MAD MAX: FURY ROAD



Starring Charlize Theron, Tom Hardy, Nicholas Hoult and Hugh Keays-ByrneWritten by Brendan McCarthy, Nick Lathouris, George Miller and Eric Blakeney. Directed by George Miller. Budget $185 million dollars. 2 hours all too short. Originally released in 2015

Since it was first released I have seen this film three times at the cinema and at least three times on Blu Ray at home. I remain stunned and staggered by its pure cinematic uniqueness. The plot is more linear than a straight line and goes from A-B and back again and offers us what is actually one continuous car-chase, but a car chase like you've never seen the likes of. It is a truly stunning 2-hour adrenalin filled kinetic experience that still leaves you dazed and shell-shocked by its sheer scope and and yet still manages to provide story arcs for its  

Despite being titled Mad Max: Fury Road, the main focus is Charlize Theron's Furiosa, Nicholas Hoult's Nux and Tom 
Hardy's Max in third place, and yet incredibly for such a linear and relatively short film each manages to have a story to tell, and an arc, and are changed by the experience, quite an extraordinary achievement for what should be a brain-dead, action, summer blockbuster and indeed in a lesser director's hands, say Michael Bay it would be. 

Back in 2015 this was without a doubt the best action film of that year and I'd say it's still the best action film I've seen in the last nine years and easily one of the greatest action films ever made. I avoided the 3D version and now I regret it. This needs to be seen on the biggest screen possible! And I want to see it again on the IMAX in 3D!

Huge kudos to George Miller who made this. He created this genre with Mad Max back in 1979 and comes back to show the world he's still da king! I for one pray to the non-existent god I don't believe in that Miller sticks to making more [insert superlative of your own choice here] films like this one and less festering, stinking mush like Happy Feet.

By the way, the first Mad Max film was the second 'X' film I ever saw at the cinema, I was 15. and I can still remember it to this day, I'm fairly sure that 36 years from now I'll be just as fond of Fury Road, assuming I survive the apocalypse and can find enough gazoleen to power my generator and run my TV and Blu Ray player.

10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments, unless they're how to make money working from home, are gratefully received.