Sunday 26 April 2020

SHUT-IN MOVIES #1 - ANATOMY OF A MURDER (1959)

Since I can't get to the cinema at present, like everyone else obviously, I thought I'd work my way through my film library. I saw a review for this first film in Empire magazine, it's just been re-released on Blu-ray and I remember I had it on DVD and not watched it in years, so I thought I'd start off my SHUT-IN MOVIES with: ANATOMY OF A MURDER.
BLOODY WOW! What a superb film. Directed by Otto Preminger and starring James Stewart, Lee Remick, Ben Gazzara and George C. Scott, with music by Duke Ellington. First time in ages I've watched a 2 and a half hour film and it didn't feel too long and or dragged out. Plus not a single explosion, car chase, or special effect (obviously). This seems like a strange thing to pick out, but I was delighted by a lovely camera cut early on in the film when Stewart, in mid sentence, stands up in his chair and the camera cuts and the line continues fluidly. I know it doesn't sound like much, but I loved it. Later there's a great scene where George C. Scott is questioning a witness and in the background we can see James Stewart watching from his seat. Repeatedly and with his back to Stewart, Scott takes a step to one side to block Stewart's view, so Stewart is forced to move to the other side to get a view and Scott steps again to block Stewart. It's so superbly timed and feels utterly natural, particularly because Scott is facing us the whole time. I was also amazed by the dialogue and the language in the film it sounds, at times, quite shocking and there's an astonishing moment when Lee Remick admits to sometimes walking around not wearing panties! James Stewart, as ever, sucks your attention, he is so effortlessly charming and manages to imbue his characters with such believability. Similarly, George C. Scott brings a real sense of contempt for Stewart and their chemistry is a delight to watch. Plus! There's the superb soundtrack by Duke Ellington, who also cameos and let's not forget the credits and poster by Saul Bass. Nor the skill of Otto Preminger as director and producer. The trailer for this is a delight too. Just fantastic! If you've not seen it, give it a go. 10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments, unless they're how to make money working from home, are gratefully received.