Wednesday 29 December 2021

FILMS OF 2021: FINCH

FINCH 

It's a post apocalyptic movie set in a world ravaged by a cataclysmic solar flare that has destroyed the ozone layer and burned the planet. The cast consists of 1. Tom Hanks. 2. A robot. 3. A dog.

Nothing dramatic really happens, there's no threat, no violence, no big danger. Just a man travelling across country in his RV teaching his robot how to live in the world once he's dead and how to look after his dog. At one point a car follows them, I won't spoil what happens...
And I bloody loved it. Heart warming, moving and gentle. Just what I need. it won't be for everyone, but I've reached a point in my life where I like gentle things, like this and Gone Fishing, or The Detectorists. I'm hoping tonight's cinema offering of Last Night in Soho will continue the trend.
Tom Hanks, as ever, brings such a warmth and sweetness to a role. The robot, brilliantly CGI-ed using motion-capture was played by Caleb Landry Jones and is the classic trope of a child-like artifical intelligence learning what it means to be human. Directed by Miguel Sapochnik.
8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments, unless they're how to make money working from home, are gratefully received.